Nov 4, 2005

The topology of Identity Standards



I've seen many times, a plee for some kind of 'map', allowing a developer or other interested party, a means to navigate the exploding space of identity-oriented protocols/specifications (esp Federation Protocols). I started a diagram some time ago with every imaginable specification I could dream of. Suffice to say, it was large, and illedgable, even for the composer.

I promptly ditched that , and opted for this diagram, which drops many (very relavant) bodies of work, but captures the present trend of specifications relating to this space. It includes directional relationships and venues (mostly standards bodies) where the evolution of the specification is being nurtured.

If you read this blog, and notice the ommition of something you feel is relavant, feel free to contact me/comment here, and i'll try to update it.

2 Comments:

At 11/06/2005 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, is there a legend for the arrows? Not being familiar with all of these I can't infer what the relationships are.


Is PGP a player in the current identity world? Even though it is old I think it has a good model and can be broadly used in new systems.

 
At 11/07/2005 11:50 PM, Blogger =peterd said...

Dave,

The arrows are meant to convey directional contribution or reference (eg: Liberty Alliance ID-FF 1.2 was contrib'd to SAML2.0). So the connectors direction _should_ convey this relationship, I hope.

As for PGP (and the sea of other authentication mechanisms), I tried to omit. Not because they are unimportant, but that I was focusing on security token exchange mechansims, which are, or are close to, being in a standards body or have reach a 'standards' status within their respective venue. (WS-SX is just now forming, DIX is planning a bar-BOF at IETF-Vancover).

 

Post a Comment

|

<< Home